Table of Content
- 1 Windows 10 Build 18980 [20H1] Features, improvements, Fixes details
- 2 Share
- 3 About Post Author
Windows 10 Build 18980 20H1 comes out to the Insiders in the Fast ring carrying a stack of fixes, changes, and improvements. This specific update in the Release Preview deals with the update on Cortana which make it more convenient to use for all Windows customers. In this build, Microsoft specialist has comprised WSL2 support for ARM64 devices and also enhance the Optional Features settings region. Besides, the company also includes some accessibility improvements like – MS Paint and WordPad, text cursor indicator.
Being into the Fast ring, you’re able to get Build 18980 20H1 directly via Windows Update. For this, just open the Windows Settings app and then click on the Update & Security. Lastly, click on the ‘Check for updates’ icon and then grab the build on your Windows 10 PC. However, you are able to get this build automatically. Here, you need to ensure that you haven’t kept the automatic update feature in either disabled or paused state.
Let us walk through the details and see what important features and changes build 18980 carries for you.
Windows 10 Build 18980 [20H1] Features, improvements, Fixes details
Here is the Windows 10 Build 18980 changelog –
An update on Cortana
With this update, the team is working on a plan to make it more handy for all users to use Cortana. Now, all Insiders are able to view the Cortana icon and the new app, which supports the English language by default. The company assures to share more details of the language rollout plans as they progress and welcome user’s patience during this transition period.
Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) improvements
Inside this 20H1 build, the Microsoft expert added WSL2 support for ARM64 devices. They have also facilitated you with the set of distribution’s default user using the /etc/wsl.conf file. This release also comprised several bug fixes, combining a long-standing issue for legacy Windows symlinks. For instance – those in the user profile directory.
Other updates for Insiders
Update on the Optional Features settings section improvements
Build 18980 brings these changes to all Insiders in Fast. If you have received this experience, just tell the company what you think! To promptly recap, the Microsoft expert attached multi-select, search, and generally done work to make this section easier to use –
Windows 10 Build 18980 General changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- As per Microsoft specialist, there was an upgrade block on the previous flight in order to ensure that Insiders with certain versions of Outlook weren’t impacted by an issue in the build, which resulted in some insiders not finding the build when they checked for updates last week. However, this issue has been removed with this flight.
- The tech giant settled the problem related to the deadlock in netprofmsvc.dll that was appearing in the previous builds. Symptoms for those affected probably comprised an upgrade to the build freezing at 98%, or (if you were able to upgrade,) various aspects of the system unexpectedly freezing and becoming unresponsive.
- Now, you can easily open the Outlook application by clicking an incoming email notification.
- Microsoft team resolved the issue which influences touch keyboard reliability.
- The company also settled the issue which impacts WIN+(Period) reliability.
- Windows 10 team decided to come back to the retail build version of the Korean IME.
- Another is fixed here which impacts screen snipping reliability in the last few updates.
- The tech giant fixed an issue that could result in the login screen acrylic on the previous flight sometimes unexpectedly showing squares around UI elements.
- Microsoft specialist settled the issue that could result in certain app thumbnails going unexpectedly blank when you right-clicked them in Task View.
- The team resolved the issue associated with the removable devices which incorrectly printed as HDD in Task Manager’s performance tab. They will now be identified as Removable.
- Microsoft technician converted MS Paint and WordPad into Optional Features to save disk space according to the requirement. Furthermore, you are able to uninstall them or reinstall them via Optional Features in Settings.
- With this Windows 10 Build 18980, you will notice that the searching performance of the Apps & Features page is increased.
- You will notice that now the Windows Settings will not crash. This issue used to appears in the previous build while updating the account picture.
- Ease of Access settings will not participate in settings synchronization, especially in roaming. They removed this tool and you can easily check by navigating to the following path – Settings > Accounts > Sync your settings.
- Magnifier reading now performs well in applications. Such as – Google Chrome and Firefox.
- With this build, Magnifier reading will not click the application while using the Read from here button or the Ctrl + Alt + Left Mouse Click keyboard shortcut.
- The tech giant settled the issue by which the text cursor indicator emerge out while switching between left-to-right and right-to-left languages.
- Windows 10 Build 18980 settled an issue where the text cursor indicator would sometimes arrive on read-only areas of the display.
- Another text cursor indicator is being worked on which would emerge over the Start menu. It signifies, now this indicator will not stay in the Search edit box.
- Windows 10 team has worked on an issue and due to this the ability to read the title of the window is intensify the quality with the Narrator while reading messages in Outlook.
- The company enhances the auto-reading in Outlook with the Narrator to make it more secure.
- Windows 10 build created some changes to accommodate certainly read the message headers This can be done using the Narrator with the help of the Shift + Tab command in Scan Mode.
- The tech giant enhanced the verbosity of the Narrator when reading lists at verbosity level one.
- Microsoft expert solved an issue where an edit field on some webpages was not getting suitably updated on a configured braille display when editing the contents with the Narrator.
- In the previous update, the Local Experience Packs used to return in English. However, now this issue is resolved.
- Issue related to Wi-Fi adapters is fixed and now it can be easily loaded. You are able to disable and re-enable this according to your requirement.
- On installing the newest build 18980, the ‘Reset this PC cloud’ download option is not calculating the accurate amount of space you necessitate to free up. Until the company announces the specific workaround, free up an additional 5GB space.
- With this update, the cloud download option will not perform when specific optional features are installed. Actually, the process commences but at the same time, an error gets obstructed which causes the changes gets reverted. As per Microsoft specialist, remove the optional features prior to attempting the cloud download option. Here is the list of optional features. These are – “EMS and SAC Toolset for Windows 10, IrDA infrared, Print Management Console, RAS Connection Manager Administration Kit (CMAK), RIP Listener, all RSAT tools, Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), Windows Fax and Scan, Windows Storage Management, Wireless Display, and WI SNMP Provider”.
- There was a critical concern of the anti-cheat program uses with games. However, when you update to the latest build 18980, you may face some crashes experience the PC. With the associate’s partners, the company is working on to receive their software updated with a relevant fix. Most of the games are releasing the patches to prevent PCs from encountering this issue. To mitigate the possibility of running into this issue, ensure that your device is working on the most recent version of your games. The team is performing with anti-cheat and game developers to resolve similar issues. This will work to decrease the possibility of these issues in the forthcoming days.
- With this release, a few Realtek SD card readers will not operate well. However, the company is investigating the issue.
- On updating the build, the team is working on an issue which adding a new Language Pack reports successful installation but is not installed.
- Inside this build 18980, certain 2D apps are wrongly being treated as having protected content within Windows Mixed Reality. For instance – like Feedback Hub, Microsoft Store, 3D Viewer. Besides, during video capture, these 2D apps restrict their content from being recorded.
- The company declares that when you capture a repro video while filing a bug, you can’t discontinue the video, due to the protected content issue. In addition to this, if you need to submit a repro video, wait for 5 minutes for the recording to time out. Although, according to the company, if you favor filing the bug without a repro video, simply stop the Feedback Hub window. This will stop the recording and continue filing the issue when you reopen the application in Feedback and then go to Drafts.
Source – Windows Experience Blog